Estimated Reading Time: 4 minutes
were the same as 2019’s. However, this is not the case for @cosme’s 2020 Best Cosmetics Awards, which rank products favored by members of Japan’s biggest beauty review site @cosme from November 1, 2019, to October 31, 2020. The products listed for Grand Prize and Hall of Fame are regular award contenders, but quite a few new names appear in the other categories.
Check out the full list below!
LANCÔME won first place in the Grand Prize at the mid-year awards with its Clarifique Dual Essence Lotion. This time, the brand won for the Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum. IPSA’s The Time Reset Aqua, a frequent finalist of the awards, took second place. DECORTÉ’s Face Powder in third place is unexpected given the lower demand for makeup during the pandemic.
1st: LANCÔME – Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum
2nd: IPSA – The Time Reset Aqua
3rd: DECORTÉ – Face Powder
Hall of Fame
The 2020 Hall of Fame has eleven items in comparison to just seven for 2019’s list. Surprisingly, most are makeup products.
- FANCL – Mild Cleansing Oil
- MAQuillAGE – Dramatic Powdery UV Foundation
- LANCÔME – Teint Idole Ultra 24H Long Wear Foundation
- The Saem – Cover Perfection Tip Concealer
- ADDICTION – The Eyeshadow
- EXCEL – Skinny Rich Shadow
- Kate – Designing Eyebrow 3D
- CEZANNE – Natural Cheek N
- La Sana – Seaweed Hair Essence Moist
- nAplA – N. Polish Oil
- nepia – Nose Celebrity Pocket Tissue
The following results show the most-loved products in each category.
The exfoliator category is gone, but an eyelash serum category has been added. All winners are different from the mid-year awards, except for Attenir’s Skin Clear Cleanse Oil Aroma Type and IHADA’s Medicated Balm. The Japanese version of Mediheal’s bestselling N.M.F Aquaring Ampoule Mask EX topped both the sheet mask and face mask categories.
- Cleanser:Attenir – Skin Clear Cleanse Oil Aroma Type
- Face Wash:FANCL – Deep Clear Washing Powder
- Booster: BENEFIQUE – Reset Clear
- Lotion (Essence Toner): IPSA – The Time Reset Aqua
- Emulsion:Albion – Exage White White Rise Milk II
- Serum: LANCÔME – Advanced Génifique Youth Activating Serum
- Face Massage Cream: clé de peau BEAUTÉ – Massage Cream
- Face Cream & Gel:Kanebo – Fresh Day Cream
- Oil & Balm:IHADA – Medicated Balm
- Sheet Mask & Face Mask:Mediheal – N.M.F Aqua Ampoule Mask JEX
- Eyelash Serum: Majolica Majorca – Lash Jelly Drop EX
- Eye Care: CLARINS – Enhancing Eye Lift Serum
- Lip Care: REVLON – Kiss Exfoliating Balm
DECORTÉ’s Face Powder and CEZANNE’s Pearl Glow Highlight kept their crowns in the powder and highlighter categories, but for sunscreen, &be’s UV Milk beat out the 2019 winner, ANESSA’s Perfect UV Skincare Milk. The 2020 list also includes new releases like RMK’s Creamy Foundation EX, Shiseido’s Integrate Pro Finish Foundation, DECORTÉ’s Sun Shelter Tone Up CC, and Kose’s Cosmenience Make Keep Mist.
- Sunscreen: &be – UV Milk
- Face Primer: PAUL & JOE BEAUTE – Protecting Foundation Primer
- Cream & Gel Foundation: RMK – Creamy Foundation EX
- Liquid Foundation:Shu Uemura – Unlimited Breathable Lasting Foundation
- Powder Foundation: Shiseido – Integrate Pro Finish Foundation
- Cushion Foundation: NARS – Natural Radiant Longwear Cushion Foundation
- BB & CC Cream: DECORTÉ – Sun Shelter Tone Up CC
- Face Powder: DECORTÉ – Face Powder
- Concealer: DIOR Forever – Skin Correct
- Highlighter & Contour: CEZANNE – Pearl Glow Highlight
- Setting Spray: Kose – Cosmenience Make Keep Mist
It’s surprising to see that UZU BY FLOWFUSHI and K-Palette, two brands well known for eyeliners, are no longer on this list. In the liquid lipstick category, romand finally won first place with its bestselling Juicy Lasting Tint.
- Lipstick:BIDOL – Tsuyapuru Lipstick
- Liquid Lipstick:romand – Juicy Lasting Tint
- Single Shadow: DECORTÉ – Eye Glow Gem
- Eyeshadow Palette: CANMAKE – Silky Souffle Eyes
- Blush: Laura Mercier – Blush Colour Infusion
- Multi-Purpose Palette: Kate – Tone Dimensional Palette
- Mascara:dejavu – Lash Up Mascara
- Eyeliner:CANMAKE – Creamy Touch Liner
- Eyebrows: CEZANNE – Super Slim Eyebrow
Body & Hair Care
Some familiar names appear, such as Vaseline’s Advanced Repair Body Lotion, Collage’s Furu Furu Foam Soap, Bouncia’s Body Wash, Deonatulle’s Soft Stone Double Deodorant, and &honey’s Deep Moist Shampoo 1.0 and Hair Treatment 2.0. The Product’s organic hair wax replaced nAplA’s N. Polish Oil to become the favorite hair styling product in 2020.
- Body Care: Vaseline – Advanced Repair Body Lotion
- Feminine Care:Collage – Furu Furu Foam Soap
- Body Wash: Bouncia – Body Wash (White Soap)
- Deodorant: Deonatulle – Soft Stone Double Deodorant
- Hand Cream: Aesop – Resurrection Aromatique Hand Balm
- Nails: CANMAKE – Colorful Nails
- Perfume: Roger & Gallet – Extrait de Cologne Thé Fantaisie
- Shampoo & Conditioner: &honey – Deep Moist Shampoo 1.0 / Hair Treatment 2.0
- Hair Care: L’Oréal Paris – Elvive Extraordinary Oil Extra Rich Finish
- Hair Styling: The Product – Hair Wax
TOHO’s Utamaro Cleanser, a biodegradable spray-type detergent, topped the daily goods category. Another noteworthy rookie in the list is NONIO’s Tongue Cleaning Gel, which was launched in early 2020.
- Beauty Tools & Accessories:WHOMEE – Eyebrow Brush
- Beauty Appliances: Panasonic – Hair Dryer Nano Care EH-NA0B/EH-CNA0B
- Health & Beauty: Shiseido – The Collagen Drink
- Oral Care: NONIO – Tongue Cleaning Gel
- Daily Goods: TOHO – Utamaro Cleaner
- Bath Salts & Bubble Baths: BARTH – Recovery & Treatment Bath Tablet
- Feminine Care:elis – Ultra Slim Wing Feminine Pads
@cosme Shopping Best Hits
This award goes to the bestselling items at @cosme’s online shop.
Grand Prize: IPSA – The Time Reset Aqua
- Skin Care: IPSA – The Time Reset Aqua
- Base Makeup: PAUL & JOE BEAUTE – Protecting Foundation Primer
- Makeup: BIDOL – Tsuyapuru Lipstick
@cosme Store Best Hits
This award goes to the bestselling items at @cosme’s physical stores.
Grand Prize: OPERA – Lip Tint N
- Skin Care: Cher-Couleur – Basic Cream
- Base Makeup: DECORTÉ – Face Powder
- Makeup: OPERA – Lip Tint N